Saturday, March 16, 2013

Adventures in Wrting, Part 2


The other day, a friend who recently had read my first book made a point to come by my desk and ask if I had ever tried to get it published through the traditional methods. It's just as good as any of the crap that's published these days, he had said, though not quite in those words.
The answer was, yes, I had gone through the the submittal and denial process. I found that experience so frustrating that I didn't write another book for 10 years. I suppose I have a different attitude toward writing now than after I'd finished that book, but I still hold the same attitude toward the publishing industry.
The process of acquiring a book agent and a contract for publication, garnered from the toe I've dipped into the water and from stories of author friends, is another job itself. If you are an unknown writer, the odds are stacked against you finding a publisher. Notice I said “unknown” instead of “new.” New writers get published all the time.
My friend Steve Brewer, a talented mystery writer, makes a simple statement that sums up the publishing industry: “Snookie is published.”
I have no qualms about submitting a work and having it rejected. It's all the other people out there looking to make a buck off the dreams of someone wanting to become a published author that gives me heartburn.
When I was searching for an agent or publisher those many years ago, I had sent out my manuscript to numerous places. (Copy costs taken on by author.) With many, I received my manuscript, obviously unread, back in the SASE (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope, costs taken on by the author) I'd sent with it. Most I never saw again. Then I started hearing from the shysters who would be happy to represent me, but that the manuscript needed “some work.” For several thousand dollars, they would be happy to help me get it in shape to shop around – no guarantee of a sale, of course.
One especially annoying New York woman called me collect to offer the package of services her agency offered. However, she was going to give me free feedback on some of the things that needed work on my manuscript. OK, I said.
My book is set in New Mexico and the landscape is an important character in the story. This woman told me that she would have an easier time selling it if I set it in Pennsylvania Amish country. I've been to Pennsylvania once in my life and have never toured Amish country. There would be no way I could rewrite the story to fit that location and culture, I told her. She was still willing to represent the book, but only if I sent her $3,000 for editing services.
I pulled my toe out of the pool and determined that I would work on my newspaper career and raising a family rather than put up with the crap of the publishing industry.
But things have changed over the years, and not to the benefit of the so-called gatekeepers, the people who decide what sees print and what doesn't. More and more people have e-book readers and iPads and the like. Delivery of books is much easier and cheaper. At the same time, printing technology has improved so that print-on-demand services are relatively cheap and easy.
That means that just about anyone can get into the market. It also means that just about everyone is in the market. There's a lot of literary junk out there, there is no doubt. But there is some great stuff out there that never would have seen the light of day through traditional publishing channels.
I'm not knocking traditional publishing houses, especially small presses which struggle to make a go of the business. Good for them, I guess. But it doesn't mean I have to conform to their archaic business model.
But that is more of a change in attitude I have toward writing. It's fairly simple: I just want to write. Whether I go through traditional publishing or do it myself, the odds are long that I'll be able to even support myself and my family through writing. That's OK. That's not the primary reason for doing it.
I do it because I like telling stories. I love language. I love new ideas and even dressed up old ideas. I'm as much a fan of reading as I am of writing. And yes, I am thrilled when someone is moved in some manner by what I've written.
So I'm doing the self-publishing thing. I've sold a handful of books, and I'm not disappointed it isn't a million seller. If a traditional publishing house comes knocking, that'll be fine. Right now, I'm content to do what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment