Saturday, March 30, 2013

An excerpt from "Time in the World"

I offer you all an excerpt of "Time in the World," a time travel novel that will be available on June 1.



July 15, 1985

There was a great blending of colors, as if I was moving fast. No, that's wrong. I wasn't moving at all, it was the world that was moving. There was no noise, and that was the most unsettling part of the experience. That and the nausea, something J.C. had failed to mention. In a matter of seconds, it stopped. During the whole experience our feet stayed planted on the ground, we hadn't moved but now the building opposite us was a faded green instead of brown. The temperature was about ten degrees hotter, too.
We were in the same filthy alley; and if anything it was dirtier. The Dumpster we were near when we left was gone, replaced by at least ten garbage cans, half of them belching trash. It didn't look much different than 2013, but the surroundings were off. There were differences you wouldn't have noticed unless you were looking for them, like the hundreds of aluminum pull tabs ripped from soda and beer cans that were embedded in the alley's asphalt.
Once we walked out of the alley, though, you could tell we'd gone somewhere else. The neighborhood had changed, and the first thing I noticed was the electric and phone lines overhead – Con-Ed must not have buried them yet. It was still Brooklyn, and most of the buildings were still there, but some things were missing, like cell phone stores. Traffic lights were strung across intersections on wires instead of topping planted poles. There was a video store, it was a Mom and Pop instead of any major chain; and they didn't have DVDs, only a large selection of VHS and Beta. There was a TCBY Yogurt and an A & W, but there was no Applebees or a Best Buy. As we walked down the street, I found myself staring at the number of people with huge boom boxes, all playing very loud and very public. A few folks, men and women, were wearing shorts that were tight and short. I shouldn't have been surprised that no one was talking or texting on a smartphone, or that no one was plugged into an iPod, but I was. It's funny what we take for granted. I noticed some people with pagers on their belts and there were pay phones. Pay phones!
I stopped to inspect one, a blue kiosk box mounted to the side of a building, the Yellow Pages attached to a cable and dangling below. I didn't notice that J.C. and Felicia continued walking as I picked up the receiver and held it to my ear. Pay phones weren't that strange to me – I wasn't that young. But they were things that disappeared so slowly that I didn't notice they had become obsolete. With the dial tone in my ear, I knew I had to make a call. I punched in the number to my mother's house, trying to remember if it was the same in 1985. A three-note tone blared in my ear.
You must first deposit twenty-five cents to connect your call,” an adroit female voice told me. Before I could dig into my pocket for a quarter, Felicia harshly grabbed me by the arm.
Would you come on,” she hissed. I smiled an apology and hung up the receiver.
As promised, J.C. bought us a slice of pizza in a little joint around the corner from L'Armour. The slices were huge and cost a buck, a soda was thirty-five cents. There was a juke box in the place that was playing vinyl records. I made sure to carefully look over the juke box, silently amused each time a record was lifted from its slot and placed on a turntable. The pizza place was filled with young people who dressed in torn Levi jeans and homemade Ramones T-shirts. J.C. didn't think our clothes would stand out – his old man trousers and long coat didn't – but Felicia and I looked like foreigners, her low-rise jeans and my cargo pants, stylish for the 21st Century, looked out of place with the faded denim and torn T-shirts of the punks around us. They looked dingier, too. I was staring at a guy with gnarled teeth and bad acne thinking that he would have had both fixed in 2009. His shirt had a hand-drawn cartoon that was labeled “Zippy the Pinhead.”
No one seemed to give us a second glance, though, and it wasn't long before Felicia started quizzing J.C. on time travel. She asked about the device, getting the same responses he had given me earlier, but she asked questions I hadn't even thought about.
So,” she asked in a hushed tone, “how are you able to sell your antiques? If you go into the past and get things, they wouldn't age would they? You'd have a hard time selling them, people would think they're forgeries.”
J.C. chuckled at the question and took a sip of coffee.
Objects brought forward in time don't seem to age, but I don't know if they actually do. I haven't tried carbon dating them,” he said. “I suspect they do age, mostly because the stuff I've brought forward wears out pretty quick.” I thought of his collection of baseball cards. They looked brand new, and even smelled of cheap bubble gum. J.C. caught me furrowing my brow in puzzlement.
Think of this way,” he said, leaning in close, “it would be the same if I locked an item – a card let's say – in a vault that was temperature controlled, dark so the light couldn't do any damage and opened it years later. It's still old, it just looks new.”

No comments:

Post a Comment